Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Honesty and Power of Friendships

What does it mean to you to call yourself a friend?  To me, being a true friend to someone is one of the highest forms of trust and honesty and love you can share with another person.  It's those special people that you share all the parts of yourself with, even the parts you're not the most proud of.  It's knowing that within that sharing of yourself: your good parts, your vulnerable parts, your not-so-pretty parts, you are safe and loved. It's those people you who allow you to be the real you all the time, not just when it's convenient or easy.  

As I've described in other posts, being me is not always easy for me.  It takes courage to be myself and live the life I want to live. It would be easier if I just went with the flow and did the things other people thought I should do, in the ways they thought I should do them. But my true self can't do it that way.  I might try for a little while because it's less painful, fewer pitfalls, less heartache, but there always comes a point when reality comes knocking and says, "Give it up, Girlfriend.  You know you need to do it your way; otherwise, you'll never be truly happy."

Here's where my friends play an integral part in helping me be my best and most real self:  They call me on my crap.  When I am not being me or am doing something out of character, or have just simply gotten off track, they tell me... right to my face, nothing held back, up in my grill tell me.  They don't gossip to others, they don't talk behind my back, they don't betray my trust... they look me in the eye and tell me.  That kind of love and honesty can only come from someone who truly loves me.  I value that part of my friendships more than anything.

I have noticed that I don't have a lot of true friends that fall into this category of love and honesty.  But those that have achieved this level of love with me will be my best friends no matter what happens along our journey.  I will be there to love them and support them no matter where their path may take them, even if we grow apart... and I feel that they will do the same for me.  It's that kind of connection with someone that you can feel in ways you can't describe in words.  It's that feeling that when it's there, you know it.  I can feel it all the way to the core of my being.

So my question to all of you today is are you ready to be you... the real you... the you that wants to go out and achieve something you can feel proud of?  What do you need to make those dreams a reality?  Who do you want to be with you on that path?

As E. E. Cummings said, "It takes courage to grow up and be who you really are."  
So I'm wondering, are you ready for a change?  Let me know... and if you need a friend, a real true friend that will always have your back, let me know. I'm always here...




1 comment:

  1. I love REAL friends, but they are hard to come by! To answer your question, I think I am the real me, the hardest part isn't revealing it to others, but accepting it myself! Found you on Mommy-Mondays, nice post.

    ReplyDelete